Research and planning blog task


Research and planning blog tasks

Create a blogpost called 'Print brief research and planning' and complete the following tasks to plan and prepare your print work:

1) Research music magazine cover key conventions. Look over the magazine cover key conventions notes sheet and write which of these you will use for your magazine cover. (This is a film magazine example but the conventions still apply).

The title. 

The slogan.

The tagline.

The front cover.

Central image.

Free offer.

Double page interview.

Tour poster.

Product placement on the magazine (niche feature). 



Music magazine front covers;

Rolling stone - The design idea that I would use from my own music magazine would be that their title over the central image.


MOJO - The design idea that I would take from MOJO magazine would be they had their tagline within their title. This a very niche feature which I really likes and would incorporate into my music magazine. 




Q - The convention that i would use for my own music magazine would be the title for this month's issue being in bold and takes up a third of the page. 




Classic Rock - Their rare issues would be in colour however most their magazine are in black and white which I could consider for my own music magazine. 





Rave - This would be the magazine that I would be base my actual magazine on as the colours and title especially the aesthetic fits the genre and tone for my music video. 






Double-page spread research 


This magazine interview is focused on the hip/hop artist Drake. The interview is displayed on a horizontal page with a vertical layout. The colour scheme of the text are black and gold, and the central image used is of the artist (Drake) himself on the right side. He positioned to lean forward and wearing flashy jewellery which is common for hip/hop artist to have on. The title of the interview is in bold text filled in with gold. This connotes with the theme of wealth in the hip/hop industry as well as links with his gold Rolex watch he has on. Something I could borrow from this example would be the the quote layout and the most important quote goes around the smaller texts and is bigger which is something interesting and I could incorporate more than one highlighted quote in my double-spread interview. 







This magazine interview has an unique format as it focuses on 10 questions with the artist Sixto Rodriguez  rather than length information and the layout of this music magazine interview is done vertically. The colour scheme used is black and white is reiterates the artist staying true to his music genre. The image incorporated in this interview is rather simple as it is just the artist standing holding his guitar which gives it a minimalistic feature that fit my own publication very well. This interview constantly talks about solely the artist's work and the 10 questions feature connotes the main incentive for this interview is to inform the readers. The transparency that this 10 question interview layout has would be a feature that would fit my own magazine perfectly as the main focus is centred around the artist and their work. 








This magazine interview focuses on the artist George Michael, this interview is done differently because instead on having one central image they have multiple images included around the interview information. This means that it includes one large image of Mr. Michael and other mini ones of him around the text. This is visually appealing to the audience and connotes that each paragraph has something new to offer to the readers. This is something I would consider incorporating into my publication as it would keep the readers interested whilst reading. The colour scheme for this music magazine white, purple and black. 





This magazine interview is made by RAVE which focused on the English rock band Pink Floyd, which was formed in 1965. This interview was from June 1967, the writing format for this interview is very simplistic and tightly packed together. Each column, from the interview, has a sub-heading which connotes to a new feature being talked about. This would make it easier for readers to navigate what is being talked about and is straight-forward. This interview is done differently because instead of having the main image incorporated within the interview page they have decided to station the cover image on the page after it. This would portray the cover image like a poster and would direct the attention of the audience. The binary opposition that is shown in this interview with the colour scheme as the text is done in black and white whereas the the central cover image for the interview is in colour. This would be something that I would text out on my own music publication. 








Tour posters 


The key conventions that this tour poster features is the name of the band, the tour dates and location as well as the title of the tour which is common for tour posters. This is to distinguish the theme of the tour and promote the album. The texts displayed on the poster is neon purple and the image is of the band on top of a cliff with a broken and burnt car under them, this could connote a theme for the tour or a link to the album. A design trick that i would borrow from this example would be the juxtaposition of the text colour being a neon purple with the central image being taken in daylight. This is because it going against a conventional colour scheme that would be binary however this tour poster completely disregards that and makes the poster look visually pleasing and confusing at the same time. 






This tour poster does something unconventional by not having an artist/band on the cover of the poster but install key conventions of a music magazine i.e. the title of the band, location, dates and the name of the tour. This poster only features a top hat with a feature attached to the right side of it, the colour scheme fits well with their genre of music which is rock. This poster sets the theme for their tour is a old-fashioned paired with their genre of music. The poster creates a element of mystery which I would borrow for my publication because only the fans would know what the meaning behind this poster means which creates an "invite-only" aesthetic.  








This tour poster adopts the key features of a tour poster i.e. location, the band/artists name, the name of the tour, the dates and the cover image. However, this poster does something different by including the band as the cover image but using a cartoonist/pop art effect behind making the individuals look like cartoon characters. This would fit with their theme and is authentic to themselves. A design trick I would adopt into my own tour poster would be look at different effects I could use on my own poster to make it both visually pleasing and fit the theme of the music genre. 
 



The tour poster for Billy Idol contains the main features for a tour poster which is the location, the artist's name, that dates that artist will be performing, and the cover image. The colour schemed used for this poster would be red, black, yellow and some white. A feature I would borrow from this music poster would be that it includes the sponsorship on the top left corner which is something not a lot of tour posters have. This means I would include my headphones sponsorship into my tour poster as well as the 80's retro decorative design.  










Example music interview features from newspapers and magazines


The format used in this interview would stating a point to which then the artist responds with the reasoning behind the writer's point. This is an affecting tool when writing I'm my own music interview because it will give time for the artist to reply and give their perspective. The content that is talked about in this interview is the SL's background, rise to fame, his music career and theme and political stance in his music. This would be something I would consider using in my interview because I want the artist to give out information that authentic to the artist and music-driven as that is what the magazine is based on. 





The format used in this interview with Davido it is clear to the writing style is different, this is because 







Planning, sketching and writing

1) Plan a title and slogan (sell line) for your new, original music magazine. Sketch out possible designs for the masthead - font, style, colour etc.

The title for my music magazine would be called VideoStar.

The slogan for my music magazine would be "The mirror's image" 

2) Plan the content for your magazine front cover. Your double-page spread interview will be the main story and image but what other cover lines and smaller images will you include on the cover?

For the front cover I will have smaller content lines based around promotional offers for the artists tour, latest music from other artist from the same genre, promotional offers for our sponsors. The smaller images would be include both protagonist from the music video. The main story for my double-page interview would be based around the music video, the inspiration for the video, and the casting. 

3) Plan the content for your tour poster. What image will you use? (Remember it needs to be from a different photoshoot). What cities and venues will your artist play in the UK? This may take some research into venues that are associated with your chosen genre and the right size for your artist.

The tour poster will include my main protagonist as its a single artist tour. The cities that Rockwell would play be O2 academy Brixton, Copper Box Arena, Utilita arena newcastle, Stereo Glasgow and The Salty Dog Norwich. I have chosen these places because they're heavily associated with a student population and city presence meaning many fans will attend because its in the city and would more likely buy tickets at these venues. 

4) Create a spider diagram or bullet point list of all the issues or topics your double-page feature interview could cover. Remember it needs to include reference to the music video, tour and headphone sponsorship. 

Double page feature;
- Influence for the music video.
- Family 
- Tour dates
- Crazy fan stories
- Breaking stereotypes in this industry.

5) Write the text for your double-page spread feature. This needs to be a minimum of 400 words and be completely original and include reference to the music video, tour and headphone sponsorship. Make sure you include a headline, subheading and any pullout quotes or sidebar contents. 

8 Questions for Rockwell


London rock legend Rockwell on his breakthrough with "Somebody's watching me" and currently what he working on behind the glamourous life he has left behind. 

What was the influence for your music video?

The influence for my music video would be just to "feel the lyrics". I don't really like planning out many things i just sit in my apartment and reiterate what I feel needs to be said. For this MV however it was different because the lyrics portrayed many doubts I had myself it was almost like a conspiracy. The whole best friend/ stalker dynamic felt right with the lyrics. This was the first ever music video that I completely changed the genre too as I felt it needed a dark element to it but still stayed true to my roots of the 80's.

How would you respond to critics saying that "make-up is for men"? - linking to his cover image of him wearing eyeliner and blush.

I would say "mind your own business" I grew up in a fairly conservative area where self-expression was frond upon, I learnt whilst growing up that conditioning myself to a certain colour, tone or image stole colour from me. Now I refuse to give it back! If what I do, wear or say offends those "critics" then I guess I'm giving them their story. 

Why did you bring back the 80's?

I didn't bring it back it just had to be woken up, the 80's never died it become multiple versions of it. This generation did a good job adding their own tone to the 80's and well to say the least I'm proud. However, the pure bright headbands, denim jackets, arcade dates, disco parties, weird boybands even serial killers. That's what I miss, not the serial killers of course but the days where we actually communicated but the music I produce is a form of bringing back an era where everyone could experience and explore. 

People you say your thought process for music video's are "Outrages and Odd"?

Like I had stated before I'm giving these people a story to talk about around the dinner table, at their local clubhouse, and even conversation starters at dates. The MV's I produce are encounters that i have amplified for my own creative benefit. The cross-culture between the 80's and elements of the 21st century creates a pastiche of my artwork. If not me creating art that informs and is enjoyed by the masses then who will? My ideas for both the music and video stems from the love I have for the 80's and dark surrealism. The bondage between people through various issues creates a never-ending cycle of ideas. 

If not a musician what would you be?

If I were not a musician I would be an instrument. Music plays such a huge factor in my life that if I was to think of a profession outside of music it would be difficult, honestly speaking. Although, being a pet groomer doesn't sound bad, I love dogs and taking care of 6 of them I'm used to it so probably in another life I was a dog groomer. 

 
What do you have in-store for fans whilst on this tour?

Well, many things like the upcoming tour which I'm very excited for because I have so much things lined up for my fans. I spent months making and releasing music but finally being able to go on tour to see my fans worldwide is a dream come true. Especially, having JBL be our tour sponsor as well giving my fans discount on their products means so much. Additionally, I've been working on releasing merch this year before the tour and many more exciting things for the fans to experience. 

What is the weirdest fan encounter you have had?

The weirdest fan encounter for me would be when I was staying in Cuba, when "fans" had broke into my apartment, I was out on my morning run, they had left several cards and other peculiar gifts. What my security explained was that these people had been camping outside for three consecutive days before they broke in. Personally, some part of me felt violated but another was pretty impressed by their profound love for someone who makes music with the same software since high school. However, since then I've upgraded my security only because my manger had told me so. 


Why did you live in South America, Cuba for 3 years?

I mean who wouldn't want to live in Cuba. I loved the culture, the people and the music it's what inspired my to expand my music genre which people will hear in my upcoming album and tour. 





6) Produce an A4 sketch of your front cover including the key conventions and design tricks you have studied in existing magazines and then planned in planning task 1 above.

7) Produce an A4 landscape sketch of your double page spread design now you have chosen the subject matter and planned the photoshoot.

8) Produce an A4 sketch of your tour poster including the key conventions and design tricks you have studied in existing tour posters and then planned in planning task 3 above.

Photoshoot

1) Who do you need to photograph from your artist/band that will appear on the front cover of your magazine? This is vital for planning the location and time for your photoshoot (note: if it is you or someone in the class it will make things a lot easier in terms of running the photoshoot)

For this photo-shoot I will need to photograph my artist which plays the protagonist in the music video. The location for this would either at a old bar with dim lighting which would be shot during evening time. Another idea for my front cover shoot would be in an old garage with dim lights but with plants in the background. This photo-shoot will take place during the evening with both natural light and artificial light involved in this photo-shoot.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
2) What image or images do you need for the double-page spread interview feature?

For the double-age spread interview feature I will use an image of my artist holding a guitar with a cigarette in his month that is lit up. Additionally, for the product placement I will my artist wear the headphones but it will not be plugged. I will also use a smaller image installed on the interview page of my artist smashing the guitar whilst looking at the camera. 


3) What image or images will you use for the tour poster? Remember, you need seven different original images across the print brief in total and the tour poster images(s) need to come from a different photoshoot.

The image for my tour poster would be of the artist. This means that image included will be of my protagonist holding a guitar with their shoulder facing to the camera. 
Another idea for my tour poster could be the setting for the MV could be used with the artist standing near the lake to create synergy between the music magazine and music video.  
The last idea I have for my tour poster would be to digitally enhance my cover image by taking an ordinary photo and changing and adding effects to make it seem like it was drawn, which then I would use it for my tour poster. 


4) Write a shot list for your photoshoots. Make sure you plan a variety of camera shots you will look to capture - medium shots, close-ups etc.

The shot-list for my photo-shoot;
- Medium shot of the artist holding a guitar.
- Long-shot of the artist playing the guitar.
- Close-up of the artist's face to show his eyeliner and blush.
- Bird's eye shot of the artist smoking and holding the guitar.
- Worm's eye view of the artist looking down at the camera.
- Medium shot of just the artist standing up.
- Close-up of the artist lighting up a cigarette. 
- Fish lens shot of the drinking something from a cup.
- Medium shot of the artist staring at a security camera turning his back to the photographer. 
- Fish lens of the artist staring at the camera with eyeliner running down his cheek. 



5) What costumeprops or make-up will you require for your photoshoots?

The costume I will require for my photo-shoot will be my artist wearing a black suit with white shoes. The props I will using for this photo-shoot will be an electric guitar, a cigarette, a chair and plants for the background. The make-up I will be using for this photo-shoot would only be eyeliner  and blush on my artist. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music video pre-production (MV treatment)

Film poster analysis 2

Film Industry: BBFC film regulation